The Natural Environment
Les Conseillans covers twenty hectares of woodland, vineyards and fields in the heart of the Premières Côtes de Bordeaux, a few kilometres from the village of Saint-Caprais-de-Bordeaux.
The vineyard and woods remain much as they were in the seventeenth century. In 1976, the estate was listed as a protected natural site by the Aquitaine region for the charm of its countryside and the variety of species that make up the forest. Deer, fox, boar, hare and pheasants are seen frequently, and an egret fishes in the pond below the vineyards.
The Directoire-style chateau of soft yellow Frontenac stone sits on a hillock facing directly south. It was built at the end of the eighteenth century by Jacques Daban-Broca, the public prosecutor at the Court of Bordeaux, on the site of a building dating from the beginning of the eighteenth century, of which a stunning stone staircase still remains today.
The chateau has a beautiful classic façade constructed in 1803, almost Italianate in style, with Directoire pilasters and pediments sculpted with oak leaf designs. The Chateau was completed as it is today in 1808. During the rest of the nineteenth century, the estate was owned successively by the Gabet, Montero and, in 1897, Guillot de Suduiraut families.
A New Era
As the 21st century began, the Chateau was owned and operated by Serge and Sylvia Ruiz who emphasized the protection of the forest and produced exceptional wines in 2005, 2008, 2009 and 2010 proving yet again the quality of the vineyards. The Chateau was then acquired in 2011 by Bruce Jackson, an American wine enthusiast, and his wife Irina Krasovskaya. Over the next three years, Bruce and Irina restored the Chateau, renovated the vineyards, and completely modernized the technical facilities. Modern drainage systems were installed around the vineyards. State-of-the-art concrete vats were ordered from Italy. And the entire wine production area was expanded and equipped with the most advanced temperature control systems available. In 2014, the wine production facilities were ready to make the transition to Grand Cru techniques which began a new era at Chateau Les Conseillans.